Thursday, January 10, 2008

Cell phones, I-Pods and Gameboys at school


Are students allowed to have Cell phones, I-Pods or Gameboys at school? Yes, they can. There are rules to be followed when possessing such items at school though. Today is Thursday and I have had to deal with such rules being broken a lot this week, so I thought it might be good to refresh everyone’s memory of the rules.

The Lakeview handbook (page 35) states the following: The possession of cellular phones at school is discouraged. Cellular phones are to be turned off during school hours. The use of a cellular phone during school hours is forbidden unless an emergency situation that threatens the safety and well being of the student, other students or staff members exists. The school is not responsible for lost or missing Cellular Phones, I-Pods or Gameboys.

When a student has a Cell phone, I-Pod or Gameboy that is out or on during school hours it is taken and given to the office. If this is a first offense the item is returned to the student at the end of the day after reviewing the rules with them again. If it is a second offense, the parent will be contacted. I encourage you to review these rules with your child.

No comments: